Wednesday, July 20, 2011

5 Stars for 5S...plus 25 candles...

* Be forewarned, the post is kinda all over the place..and the pictures are most def. not in the order that we took them...but they make sense in the order I place them to discuss. And lastly, some photos look blurred and hazy...but I will attribute that to the fact that they were blowing out clouds of something to make the place all foggy and stuff...so there was just no way I could get a good, clear picture. Still, do try and enjoy! *

The other day it was Elliot's 25th birthday (which day exactly, I'm still unsure)...and we helped him to celebrate it. There's nothing like spending your birthday on the other side of the globe...but it's even better when there's a crowd. And heck yeah, we were a freakin' crowd.

A good amount of people at the firm showed up to join Elliot for dinner and then the club(s) afterwards. Actually, it was the usual group plus a few who are often too busy with work to tag along. Dinner was at the same place that I went to for the goat curry on July 4th weekend. I've no idea what the name is, but let's just call it 404 because that's the address and there's a big lighted board with "404" written on it where I suppose the name of a restaurant would typically be. Again we had goat curry...again it was delicious.

We ate; we talked; we drank, some more than others; and most importantly, we took pictures!!

Elliot bought Bao (not pictured) and Tuyen each a rose...
but clearly we look so much better together...
Loan and Quan (is that right? I know, after all this time, I still don't know..)

Tan and Nhan
the boys...

oh...cool little side note...

There was an MJ impersonator...he seemed good...but that's 'cause he was performing on the sidewalk and I was deep set in the restaurant...so I can't say if his dancing was good or bad..but close-up, he looks nothing like the King of Pop. And sorry for the blurry pic, this is major zoom.


Okay, onto the night...although on the taxi ride over to the restaurant, Tuyen, Thinh and I had agreed that we’d stay for dinner and sneak out during the transfer from 404 to the club. If we got caught, we’d use my back aching, and their love and need to make sure I returned home safely, as our excuses. Clever! Of course, at dinner, Khanh guilt-tripped me into promising that I would join them at 5S, a new club I had not been to yet, because it was Elliot’s birthday. On the bright side, it was an all hip-hop music club. Alright, I give; I’ll go! My mission after that was to get my two loves to go as well. It took some convincing, Thinh seemed a bit down and Tuyen was yawning like mad, but they eventually agreed – we’ll go and stay for 15 minutes…you know, to show face…but we would not stay longer than half an hour.

Well, I’ll tell you right now; that plan failed miserably. We arrived to 5S and as always, Khanh was treated as a VIP. They had booked a booth for Elliot’s birthday.

There was even a cake (which I think Khanh has secretly prepared because Elliot told me he absolutely did not want a cake nor did he want any singing).


But there were candles, which Elliot seemed to happily blow out. Now I didn’t count the candles so I am not exactly sure how many there were…I’m assuming that since it was his 25th birthday, there would be 25 candles. But my blog title could all be a lie…it’s still catchy though!


It was a pretty good tasting cake also...from the little that I tasted every once in awhile when I'd sneak a finger full of the not-too-fat-not-too-sweet whipped cream....YUMM!! I don't think many people actually ate the cake...as the night went, there was a lot of running around, a lot of cake flying here and there (not really), and a lot of people with sticky faces...

Luckily, I wasn't one of those for long. After my first attack, I quickly retaliated and retreated to greater distance....genius!

Ahh, the dancing started almost immediately and I credit this to the fantastic music that was playing. When we arrived, Missy Elliot was playing – old, but a great way to start off the night. And eh, Missy “Elliot”….lol. What a coinky-dink!









Initially we did not have these two tall tables booked, but as we were dancing around them (and were frequently being talked to by the workers there to stay in our own zone – which I presumed was limited to the booth), since there was just no way we could dance in the little standing area around the tables in that booth, the workers finally caved and moved the tables closer to our booth, creating an even bigger area for dancing.
 


Afterwards, people wanted to go dance right by the DJ. So we went. And we danced. Minus the birthday boy and Khanh and a few of their friends.



But there was a short period where everyone was on the dance floor…and then they played the “Happy Birthday” song in a rendition I only heard once (during Khanh’s birthday at Lush), and I just love, love that version. We sang and clapped for Elliot to help him celebrate. I was so proud of the colleagues because they enjoyed themselves and all drank some and danced lots, and it completely made my night very fun.


I’m not sure if Elliot was as appreciative; well, of course he prolly is; but he was often off somewhere with his Vietnamese girl so it felt as though it was just another night at another club, rather than celebrating a birthday, especially his.


But I’m not complaining because I had a blast and it was really good bonding time with all those from the firm who attended. And I’ve got lots of memories and loads of pictures for moments that may have slipped my mind.




Tuyen is really something..look at her whipping around Khanh's handkerchief...lol..
and her trying to seduce someone..I think it was Bao.. =P
and he took one for me..lol..
this is by far my fave pic....i took it of course!



Towards the end of when I called it a night (I was one of the first handful of people to return home), Elliot had left 5S to go to Apocalypse, another club, with his girl. We all danced for awhile and then decided to either follow suit or go home. As we were leaving, the owner of the club was just arriving, and Khanh was already outside chatting him up. Mr. VIP, I swear! So we all joined in this little meet-and-greet and got a nice little introduction.

And then, off to Apo we went. This is the place with a lot of old men chatting up scantily clad girls. I didn't stay long and just kinda snuck off with a short goodbye to Thinh just so people knew I went home and didn't get kidnap or anything of the sort.

After all that dancing, my back was hurting again and I was tired....decided to stay in all weekend. Well, that was already decided before I joined the party even since I had to finish working on the Thomas Tang brief with Jill...now cross fingers, I hope we get picked!!

No comments:

Post a Comment