Monday, July 4, 2011

it's the 4th of july...and Vietnam remembers that too!

or some places in Vietnam anyway, particularly those that serve a great number of expats.

But since it's not a national holiday here, I had to force myself to roll out of bed this morning and head to work. Even I can sense I'm a bit crabbier today than usual. But I wouldn't pin that on the fact that it's a national holiday and I have to come to wok...for nine hours. It's really because I stayed up late again last night, doing nothing very productive, and didn't go to sleep until at least 12:30.

So today I've been slightly grumpy and very unproductive at work...maybe I shoulda emailed in sick today...

But well, this post isn't about my mood and all that...it's about how I celebrated American Independence Day in HCMC.

I only really went out once this weekend (I had lunch with Tuyen and Thinh and went out and about with Thinh for a short while after...but that's not the focus of this post either). It was for dinner with a few people followed by a sort of July 4th celebration. Eh, it was better than not celebrating it...though I must admit I really don't care much for this particular holiday, except that it's a day where no one works (or not for long hours anyway) and where people get together and barbecue and do a whole lot of socializing.What I loved about it in my working days was that it extended my weekend. Then I started having summers with no job and it became just another summer day.

My "celebration" this year was prolly more than what I did the previous two years (I think I stayed in and cuddled...but that's what I like doing..). This past Saturday, after dinner, I headed over to this place called 17 Saloon (or something like that) in the backpackers' district where Westerners are a common sight. This place was cowboy/country themed and it seemed to suit the red, white, and blue decor that (I assumed) had been put up for July 4th.



Okay, I only have that one picture on decor. But...there was a preshow on the first floor before the band got up to play and I wouldn't say it was good...but I've got a few pictures of that!! =D


The great thing about the place was the live music, two stories of it. The first floor had a great rock band that covered heavier rock music than I care to know, though I thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless.
What I really love about rock bands is that they perform and entertain like it ain't nothing...and it really makes it an enjoyable experience...

Oh, they REALLY do rock here in Vietnam...

 This is one of the singers and he did With or Without You...that was a good way to start (although I swore when I was still upstairs, on my way back to this lovely rock band, I heard Bieber's Baby...)

Oh, that's my guy...rockin' it....

 And this guy, another singer, covered Master of Puppets (is that the name?)...and I've no idea what the words are besides "master of puppets" but I enjoyed watching this performance as well..

 I mean, look at them going at it...

A little frightening..a little fierce..but definitely sexy...is the one the left playing without a pick?


Golly, this guy really is as cool as he looks...and he does a terrific evil laugh...I loved it!!


Well....maybe I enjoyed it so much because...
I got a couple of pictures with the guitarist (I think the other is the bassist - is that a real word?) and one of the singers (the only one that let his hair hang loose). =]

Okay, I wasn't quite ready for this first picture. Firstly, I had no idea what was going on. The singer simply gestured me to walk up to the stage, to the top step of a small wooden step that led to the stage, motioned for me to sit down, and pointed at a new guy I had met at dinner who was holding my camera. Next thing I know - flash. I had to do a retake of course!

This one is less cool because the guitarist isn't leaning in...but whatever! I got pictures with the band..or the one person I really cared for a picture with anyway...Yay!!

But...I'm pretty sure I enjoyed the show generally...which led me to get those pictures.

The second floor had a band, not as talented (which prolly explains why I have no pictures of them), that covered more mainstream songs like Kesha's (what's that song where she brushes her teeth with a bottle of Jack?), Akon's Right NaNaNa, and they even did a rendition of She Bangs.

It was nice just to be out and enjoying live music (more or less) and doing slight dancing (if you could call it that). Before I knew it, the bands were leaving and although it still felt kinda early to me, it was already 1:30 am. Then I was overtaken by drowsiness and well, it was bedtime.

Actually, thinking back, it wasn't all that fun. I wouldn't have mind staying in and getting some good sleep...or maybe finish a few kdramas that I had given up on. I just love being lazy. But again, going out is something, I suppose.

Well, to all you in the States (or those celebrating July 4th around the world), happy Independence Day..and whatever it means to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment