Monday, June 13, 2011

because i love you...

ahhh...

What a relaxing weekend! I could do it again and again...although it'd be boring by myself, but I won't let that stop me from repeating this wonderful experience, even simply returning to Vung Tau. We took numerous pictures on a few different cameras; thus, I do not have all the pictures just yet, but when I do, I will quickly share them with you. For now, since my blog has been so boring, I will urgently post some of the pics that I do have and tell you about this amazing trip. THIS is something you can "ahh" about.

You may be wondering, what's with the post title?! Oh, I will answer that nagging question by the end of this post...so read carefully and enjoy the pictures. THIS HAS TURNED OUT TO BE A VERY, VERY LONG POST...feel free to skim or skip whatever you choose.

Before the trip, I went out with Elliot, as the dear, considerate person that I am. He took me to a little burger joint that he had been to once or twice called Cafe Zoom located in Pham Ngu Lau, what is known as "the backpackers' district. I guess it's where a lot of foreigners are because Elliot had told me on the cab ride there that "this is white people central"...but well, there weren't as many of them as I thought there would be.

However, this district is full of people carrying little baskets of thingy-mabobs and they'd come up to you and ask you to purchase this or that. There are also a good amount of people who come up to you in hopes that you'd hand over some money. This occurred after I ate my zoom burger (which was juicy and delicious). A flurry of individuals from all ages approached me among others (mostly foreigners) trying to sell something or get some money. It was easy to ignore and deny the older people who were mostly women, but when they got younger and younger - to the point where this little girl who was carrying a small basket like something some place would serve french fries in, came to me and could not even speak; she simply held up a bracelet or something (I didn't notice because I was still shocked at how young she was) and quickly returned to her mother's side when I shook my head at her - I grew more and more sad, and consequently, more and more inclined to purchase something. It's a good thing we did not stay there long because I may have just purchased something every person who came to me eventually.

In the end I did make a purchase - a yellow fan - and only because I was already at a very weak point, the little boy who sold it to me was soooooooo cute with big eyes and a cute voice when he said "are you going to buy anything from me?", and well, because it was yellow. Funny thing was, he started getting less cute when he wouldn't budge on the cost (not that it was that much to begin with) but man, that boy was a hard bargainer. He would not go down much at all...and so, because I was already a sucker and in a huge state of pitying others, I purchased the fan for about USD 2 (maybe less).


I should add that at the point of purchase, I had already been approached by 2 very young children, a boy and a girl, separately, during the course of my lounging at Cafe Zoom, people watching. My first experience was with the boy who was young and dark and shirtless...he also had big pleading eyes and I could not look at him while he stood at my side, though I had observed him earlier with others so I was prepared to "ignore" him. But when he walked away from me, I looked and realized that he was shoeless as well. I watched him meet up with a younger boy (who I will assume is his younger brother) and he was also wearing neither shoes nor shirt. As I watched the older boy place his hands over the younger one, sort of in a manner saying "let's go" but with the reassurance of "we'll be okay, don't worry," I could not help myself from feeling a strong pain in my chest and fighting the tears I feared would come uncontrollably. Thank goodness there were no tears but I could not help but feel that I could have at least given him USD 5 which I cannot assume is a lot in Vietnam but I know would be able to buy the two of them dinner that night. Till now I am full of regret for being so selfish of my money and time (because part of it must have been that I did not want to be bothered by others like the two little boys)...USD 5 could have fed them at least one meal each, and if they conserved well, who knows how far they could have gone with that money...possibly days. I had quickly expressed my sadness and heartache and regret to Elliot who simply told me "this is the real world" and brushed off my concerns. We sorta had a discussion about slums (and Slumdog Millionaire) and other like topics.

And then I was approached by the young girl. She had shoes on but her eyes were still big and pleading...and I honestly started in the opposite direction, knowing that she was there, and counting every second until the finally moved along. It was sad and unbearable, sort of like parting from a good love...and I was left with an indescribable feeling. Elliot further explained to me (and I will just take it as an attempt to cheer me up) that, again, this was reality, and that seeing the slums of 3rd world countries was an experience, and a spiritual one at that. Maybe because we have been a bit against each other this trip, (and this is not to offend anyone who views it this way) but I felt like he saw 3rd world and slums as simply tourist attractions - you go there because you don't belong there and you're observing life there, all the while you know that you will be able to return every night to your overpriced hotel room and eventually, at the end of the trip, to your life of luxury. I wish that I could witness and observe this kind of life AND be able to do something to make some sort of change or to help, even if it really is just one person and one day at a time. Where do I begin?

*sigh*

Let's depart from the depressing stuff, shall we...

We all headed out to Vung Tau (which I am assuming is an of-shore island) early-ish Saturday morning via a hydrofoil (basically a boat). I was exhausted and made it there literally 5 minutes before the boat left...all the others said they were scared I wasn't going to make it (and Elliot was afraid something had happened the night before since we had gone out and then I had headed home myself while he partied on). But I made it and we rode to Vung Tau in no time - 1.5 hours.

Here we all are...during the boat ride...




We checked into a "mini hotel" (those were the only words on the sign that I could read) and headed out for lunch. Oh we had lunch at the most beautiful place. It was located seaside and the family of one of the colleagues used to own it.


The view was just beautiful and the food was uber delicious and unbelievably cheap. I love, love, LOVE seafood! But while we waited for the food, we took a few pictures here and there.


After the fantastic lunch, we headed straight to the beach. It wasn't a sunny day but still warm and humid and in the end, I realized my shoulders got some brown in them...noticeably. It was such a beautiful relaxing day...

We rented a room/cabana and relaxed there...


View from inside the cabana
...before heading out to the beach and the ocean...


Some really small crab...
...who happens to live in these small holes that covered the shore...and these are little small sand balls made by them as they dig their homes..super cool!
...and then making a stop at the pool...

...before finally resting on lounge chairs pool-side while listening to great songs that prepped us for a night of dancing..
Elliot
Quyen (I'll correct this later)

Nhan (he sits to my right at work)

Ly - we call her step-mother (she is so sweet and takes care of us like we were her children)

Tuyen - so sweet and cute
Khanh - I owe this wonderful weekend to him

I must reiterate how lucky and thankful I am that they are so wonderful to me!! =D

My favorite picture of the trip:


 For dinner, we went for more seafood and I am sorry to be repetitive, but it was just delicious. Funny thing at dinner - Khanh asked me, and in a serious manner, whether or not I was sincere whenever I said some dish was delicious? I was a bit unprepared for the question because it never occurred to me that I may come off insincere (the issue was because I thought EVERYTHING was delicious). But I assured them that everything REALLY was delicious...and I also added that I simply LOVE to eat. Khanh explained himself saying that most girls he knew were often reluctant to try new food or to eat too much or something of the sort (you know, the whole "they just order salads" thing). He didn't mean anything offensive by it but he was simply trying to express his appreciation for a girl that could and would eat just about anything. Man, that makes me sound like a gluttonous pig...which I may very well be...but food is SOOO good! =D





During dinner it rained, and somewhat heavily too, but by the time we left the restaurant, the rain had come down to a slight drizzle...and then we were on our way to the first venue of the night. Black Pearl. It was a great place and a great way to start and spend the majority of the night. And unbeknownst to me, this was a night I'd be falling in love all over again...

I regret not bringing my camera along or stealing the one camera that we did bring (we decided to bring only one so that it would be less of a hassle) because, in the end, no pictures were taken at Black Pearl or TGT, the next bar/club that we went to. *sad face* It really would have a been a worthwhile picture-taking frenzy because most of us went dancing and let loose, enjoying every minute that we could away from work. The band at Black Pearl was beyond fantastic (okay, maybe I exaggerate, but only a little) and it would have been nice to have walked away with some physical tokens to remember the night by rather than just depending on my memory. It was a Filipino band, with two girls and a guy doing the singing, doing covers of English songs (save one - Nobody by The Wonder Girls) that ranged from Shakin Stevens to Alanis Morrisette to Bon Jovi to Justin Bieber (yes, they covered Baby...and surprisingly, it was freakin' good...well, the guy did Luda's part and he made it his own...it was beautiful...one of the girls did Justin's part which was nothing outstanding, just the same..).

So...what I loved about this bar and the covers were not only because they were done well (even if different) and not because the front members of the band were charismatic and entertaining...all bands have to be both of these things to be considered good (in my opinion). But, what made this band so great? Read and learn, baby...

As the music was getting good and upbeat enough for dancing, I moved from where we were situated when we arrived at the bar towards the stage; we had decided to sit together near the pool table and just "listen" to the live music.





 psssh...live music is meant for watching just as well!! It's all about interaction between the performers and the audience...so I couldn't refrain from getting closer to the good stuff. One of the girls, Ly, and I went to find the dance floor, which was right next to the stage and turned out to be this really, really small area. Honestly, I don't think they meant to have a dance floor. People were just dancing by their tall tables. But Ly and I jumped right in next to these few other people (who were prolly just dancing by their tables) and made a dance floor out of the little area that was enough room for prolly 10-12 people only. And boy, it was a freakin' blast!! People were basically dancing right up on each other, but I think that's what made it so much more fun than it prolly woulda been.

Eventually we found our way to the front of the stage, dancing and singing along. And this was when I began to fall in love. Why? How? Simply because the male singer would sing to me..and point to me...and smile at me...and reach down and touch my chin...and put the mic in front of me so I could sing a line or two...and what girl would not fall madly in love with a guy who gives her this much attention?!?!?!?! I kid, but not really.  But really, it was exciting when he'd point to me every time he sang "I'm yours" and mesmerizing when he'd smile at me each time I approached the stage. And then, when I was just ready to sit down, he crooned an unexpected ballad - Because I Love You (Shakin Stevens). Oh golly, it was beautiful. And I could not take my eyes off of him. And it was then, I knew. Naw, it's not that serious...but I was literally going gaga. It really was great.. but enough with the mushy stuff.

After Black Pearl, we left with the intention of returning to the hotel and calling it a night. It was already past 1 a.m. at least. But I think because Elliot had been so moody at Black Pearl and because the others wanted to "humor him," no one objected when Elliot asked "so what next?" and Khanh answered "what do you wanna do?" and we found ourselves obeying Elliot;s order to "go to the next joint." So to TGT it was. This was, I think, more of what clubs are like here in Vietnam ( whereas Black Pearl was a bar). There was a DJ but I don't think the music was too enjoyable and at that moment, on the dance floor, I made a decision to make sure I go clubbing at least once when I get back before law school starts up again. We didn't stay here long, even though we were treated as VIP since Khanh had some fantastic connections. Again, Elliot was moody and didn't join in the fun...so we were all pretty bothered by his "party-pooping" on top of the fact that we were all pretty much worn out from Black Pearl.

Even so, it was a fun-filled day and evening and when we left the next morning (without Elliot who wanted to sleep in and decided to take a later boat back to HCMC), we were all still happy. The two girls and I went out for breakfast in the morning and also took a quick stroll along a different stretch of the beach.



When the group arrived back in HCMC, we went to eat at this cozy and ballsy little restaurant - CUC GACH QUAN. It was hidden from the world, it seemed, and you'd prolly only be able to find it if someone were to take you there. It was beautiful and I cannot describe it properly, and I have very few photos to show that will not do it justice. There is an area that feels like eating in a treehouse, though I think it would've been better had the roof been more open. Instead, there were only a few tiny windows to let in some light. We ate on the first floor however, and it felt, to me, like having lunch in someone's family cottage in some wooded area. There was even a pond-like feature in one room where the floor was basically a pond and there were wooden planks to cross over from one room to the next. That was such a cute little room and I wish I had taken pictures of it. But for some reason (maybe hanging out with Elliot too much), I had the thought that doing so would make me too touristy and would not be so welcomed by my peers.

The decor was meant to be pre-unification of Vietnam and the music was old classics. What I thought was interesting was a large, old map of Vietnam (pre-1975). Ly explained how you could tell it was pre-unification - the spelling of some names had not been changed to signify the different Northern and Southern Vietnamese accents.


There was also a piece of writing that symbolized pre-unification and the attitude of people in the South in the room that we sat in. In the room next to us, there was an English translation of the piece. However, I did not get a chance to read the English translation so I can only take the words of my colleagues...and I'm sure it's a beautiful piece.




Also a cool note...they had slanted cups!! and the straws were made of Morning Glory, which the Vietnamese love to eat. Even the group I was with got excited at this realization and enjoyed such uniqueness; they pulled out their camera for a few pictures too.


Okay. I'm gonna call it quits with this post. I've been working on it for 2.5 days, trying to collect and upload pics and writing about my falling in love experience and so on...and well, if you really did read it all the way through, my goodness you really are a good friend to me...and I love you for it! =]

2 comments:

  1. Ha, finished in one sitting! Sounds like a great weekend Ia. Definitely some "ahh" moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm who else told you he likes a girl that can eat..? Mmm?

    ReplyDelete