Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I'm FAMOUS!!!!

...or almost...but it's prolly the closest I'll ever be to becoming famous. So I'll take it!

What am I talking about? Muah-haha-haha!! I'm not telling you until sometime later in the post. I should unload the more boring stuff first...(but I guess there's no way for me to prevent you from scrolling down to the good stuff. I'll just have to believe in the principle of "good faith." - haha..law reference..) But if you wait...the anticipation will build...and it'd be awesome when you get to it.. (or you'd be greatly disappointed)..but well...here we go!

Firstly, about late Wednesday last week (June 15th), Elliot and I were given an assignment - writing a memo. Now that seemed easy. On US laws. Piece of cake! On tender offers. Tender what?! Tender offers...hostile takeovers...shares purchasing...securities...It was the worst researching moment of my entire life (thus far, because I'm sure law school has more in store for me). Elliot and I spent days researching, rereading, discussing and we really got nowhere. We had no idea what the issue was or what was being asked of us...and securities law, I realized, was dense and confusing and headache-provoking. Of course, all law seems to be this way...but securities law is sooooooo much worse (or maybe just because I had to do a "real" thing with it).

Anyway, today (it's Tuesday June 21), Elliot comes in and was like "I've got all the answers!" And so he basically wrote the memo up himself today. He did send it to me to look over, which I have yet to do, but it's not like I will be able to add much to it. And even if I was, I'm sure he would just brush my thoughts and suggestions aside. Why do I think that? Well, if you've been reading my blog, you wouldn't even ask that question. But an even clearer answer: Today I looked over his shoulder at the memo, saw his "question presented," asked him how he knew that was the question, and then finally told him that I had told him and the senior associate who passed the assignment to us from one of the partners what the answer basically was. Of course, at the time I told them (which was last week sometime), it wasn't a good enough answer. I asked Elliot why didn't they accept what I told them regarding the "question" we were supposed to answer. Ii had given them the answer already; they should have told me that it was the answer to the question that was being asked (which for the longest time Elliot and I could not grasp and the guy could not clearly explain to us). Elliot simply replied: "Because no one trusts you." OUCH. Was it because I was a girl? Was it because I was Asian? Naw, they're not that dense...maybe it was because it's apparent that I have no idea what I'm doing...I mean, Elliot had told me that it was clear I had no idea (to him at least), but I had thought he was joking. *sigh*

This only adds to the ever probing question - "What the hell am I doing in law school?" Or more generally, "what the hell am I doing?" And well, I'm just bummed. Yeah, sure, "don't let Elliot's jerk-off personality get to you, Ia." But it's not as easy as that. I already doubt myself; now it's clear that others doubt me too. I guess I won't dwell on this issue too much. Moping won't get me anywhere. And I'm not going to be angry at him...for speaking the truth. If I want to do something, I could work to prove him wrong, right? That's what you're thinking. I wish I thought like you. But I'm not so easily motivated. And so, I will just look elsewhere for a little bit of comfort...for now...for as long as I can...for as long as I need to.

*ahem*

Yesterday (Monday after work) Tuyen went along with me to get my hair cut...just to shorten the bangs and to trim the rest. It turned out to be pretty good, although I did not think so right afterwards.

the night of the cut
 The hairstylist (a guy) suggested I layer my fronts as well because it would make me look younger. Fine. I used to layer my front to frame my face, anyway.
one day after
 All in all, he did a pretty swell job.. =]
after a shower and with my awesome shirt

Then we went to go buy a belt for me. I lost my lovely black one suitable for dress pants and (maybe I have been losing weight, as one of the female associates told me today) and my dress pants weren't staying up as well as they should. I purchased one, but I think I may need to purchase a thicker one.

After belt shopping, we went to Kichi-Kichi, an "express rotary hotpot" place. It was delicious!

 And we ate a lot...or I sure did.


And we continued to build our bond...I'm glad she's around; it makes being here more enjoyable (which, for the most part, it is).

See how stupid my hair looked right after being cut...yuck! Must've been because the guy used a round brush and sorta curled my bangs...but I like 'em better straight.

It felt like a Friday night. Sadly, it was only Monday night, and the beginning of another long week of work. Bleh!

Okay, enough of the boring stuff. Even I'm tired of blogging about it. I'll save the other boring stuff that's happened for another time...when, let's say, I do other interesting things and get more cool pics to induce you into reading my posts...teeheehee..

Well, this past weekend (the 17th and 18th basically), I went out to a club or two with Elliot, Khanh, and a few others. It was a pretty fun weekend...and I slept in a whole lot. Let me fill you in on the nitty gritty.

Thursday (I know, that was the 16th...but it's where it all kinda starts):
Elliot desperately wanted to go bowling and had been asking the people at the firm to go for a week or so. However, everyone's so busy all the time, there's never anyone who is able to go on the weekdays. So I reluctantly joined him in two games of bowling, followed by a game of pool. My bowling skills are nonexistent. And so are my pool skills...but I'm proud to say I got the 8 ball in and Elliot and I won the partner game against a British gal, Emmi, (half-Japanese half-white, of some descent) and a French dude, Gigi (I cannot spell his real name to save my life). They were also with an Estonian guy named Markus. Markus and Gigi had met in Australia doing some work and then they met Emmi only a few days prior to meeting us in Vietnam.

Afterward, we went to eat at the first place we ate with our colleagues when I first arrived, Hoa Vien. It's a Czech place that brews its own beer but I don't have a taste for beer so I can't say if it's good or not...but others seemed to like it...and Markus, Gigi, and Emmi were no different. It's also Elliot's favorite place in HCMC. Then I quickly left because well, I had to get my sleep in (after skyping some) and wake up for work Friday.

Friday night, Elliot and I met Khanh, Markus, Emmi, Gigi, Dap (this Vietnamese girl that Elliot had met on his own some time ago - we've dubbed her the "Party Queen") and a few of her friends at Cafe Zoom. We ate dinner, Elliot and I had TWO beer chugging competitions (we may have tied on the first try, but it was unanimously agreed by the others that I kicked his ass the second time - next time think before you open your mouth about how it's lame I don't drink!!!), and then we headed to Lush, to help ring in the club's 7th birthday.

Hold on to your seats..this is where it gets exciting.

The place was small (well, bigger than any clubs I've been to in America, which aren't too much) but I'd still consider it small since I expected it to be bigger and it was packed. Oh, the Vietnamese know how to party...and they look good doing so (well, I can say this about the girls...the guys, on the other hand..let's just say, I spent most of my time dancing alone..or checking out the girls..). I was definitely underdress; I didn't pack any clubwear nor heels so I wore this pink thing I had purchased for some cheap amount at some stall somewhere.

But it was a really, really fun night..and I was pretty sober throughout...but not that I really drink that much anyway...


So the highlight of this post...my becoming famous...

While I was dancing by myself and enjoying the music (hip-hop all the way), I get tapped on the shoulder by the guy who is photographing the occasion. Sure, I'll pose for you, why not. And that was that.

Today, at work, I get sent a link from Khanh...and bam!

I'm on the cover of the album for Lush's 7th birthday on the website that let's anyone in Vietnam know what's happening and what's happened! Okay, so I'm NOT famous. My name's not published, it's a terrible picture (one of my worst prolly), and only a miniscule percentage of the world population will see it (prolly only a handful of people in Vietnam as well) but eh, it's better than nothing...and, again, prolly as far a step towards fame as I'll ever take. Ahh, fame, it tastes good. =P

And then Saturday, after sleeping in, I went out to eat dinner with Khanh and Elliot at some Mexican place (Black Cat?) and we were off for a few hours of salsa! This world famous DJ (for salsa music) was in town and he was performing at La Fenetre Soleil. So a few boys from the firm and I went to the place and although I had no idea how to salsa, Elliot dragged me onto the dance floor after downing some alcoholic beverages and advising me to do likewise. I didn't, but I must admit it was pretty fun being thrown around the floor by Elliot. I didn't bring my camera, however (because Elliot gets a bit prissy whenever I pull it out), so no dancing pics (which would have super cool).

But as I was browsing that website, there was also an album for the salsa event. I didn't make it on the cover this time...but Quang, the colleague who invited us out to salsa and who takes salsa lessons, and I did get a picture together...and it was in the album..BOO-YAH!


After salsa, a few of us ventured to Vasco's (a bar with a separate room for dancing - here the DJ reached out for my hand and it was good though short night of dancing). Then we headed to Apocalypse, a two-story club where you can find a bunch (and I mean a whole bunch) of older men (white, Asian, whatever) draped over and dancing with young Vietnamese girls (I'm assuming they are Vietnamese, but there's no doubt that they're Asian). Of course Khanh had warned me of this so I simply danced away with the music blasting, dodging people walking past because it was super duper crowded in there (there wasn't even enough elbow room, no exaggeration!).

Ahh, it was a pretty fun weekend and I slept in and did absolutely nothing on Sunday. The best way to spend a Sunday...

I hope this weekend is as memorable....

Oh, so was the anticipation just killing you? Was it worth it?!?! Heck yeah it was!!! =D

2 comments:

  1. Ha, there is no such thing as "not enough elbow room" in a club.....my past speaks for itself

    ReplyDelete
  2. well buks...i stand corrected...lol..but you weren't there...and you know how i am in such conditions... =P

    ReplyDelete