Thursday, June 30, 2011

I wish they would just kiss and make up...

I just got back from watching X-Men: First Class with a bunch of really cool people from the firm. (okay, I have been lazy on this post so I started this on June 25 - Saturday).

NOTE: I don't know if the trailer showed whatever I am going to discuss. But just in case, this post may contain content that will spoil the movie for you if you have not yet seen it (and why haven't you?). So beware, and tread carefully.
 I must say, even though Matthew had told me it was a blah movie, I was not disappointed...in fact, it was AMAZING (though this may be due to the fact that I honestly know next to nothing about this franchise...but I've watched the other movies, does that count?) and a real tear-jerker...I definitely cried although I tried my best to keep it in. I just couldn't help it!!

Before I get to why I thought it was so good and why I was so touched by it, can I rant a little (or maybe a lot)? Well, ever since I first saw the trailer for this new X-Men movie, I really wanted to see it. I don't care much for watching movies at the theaters; for one thing, it's more comfortable at home, maybe under covers and half-naked, and you can be as loud as you want. But to my point, on one of the first few days of my arrival, Elliot and I were trying to get to know each other better. He asked me what kinda movies I enjoy watching or want to watch. Of course my answer was: "X-Men: First Class is coming out and I really, really wanna see it..." His response: You like watching kids movies, don't you?" This was the start of his rhetorical questions and continuous poking at my immaturity. So what if one of my favorite movies is The Lion King? So what if I know practically every word to Ariel's A Part of Your World? So what if I enjoy watching X-Men and maybe cried a little? I don't think it means I only enjoy kid movies...and sometimes, kid movies have deep meaning (i.e. Toy Story, Cars, Meet the Robinsons). Bleh...I'm done with my rant regarding my immature taste in movies...

On to my rant about how Elliot thinks I like all things Asian only. When I'm listening to my ipod, his comment is always something of the sort: There you go again, listening to your Chinese songs. And when anyone talks about movie/TV genres that they enjoy watching, Elliot is quick to mention that Ia loves watching Korean dramas. And sometimes, just sometimes, he'll simply state: Why do you only like Asians? I know he's joking (or somewhat at least) and I generally don't mind, but what bothers me is that it's not the truth.Okay, I've got nothing more to say about this...

Okay...X-Men...oh Charles and Erik, will you please, please set aside your differences (maybe come to a compromise) and kiss and make up. I don't know what the terms would be, but you two are just too amazing to fight one another. I'm aware Prof. X is - in The Last Stand, but let's pretend that didn't happen (because we all love him so dearly). Well, what made the movie SO good? Despite the cameo of a disappointingly not-as-hot-as-usual Hugh Jackman...and the introduction of some partially uncool young mutants...just about EVERYTHING about this film was AMAZING.

I loved, loved the script! I have no clue whether or not the storyline was even close to being accurate...but I don't mind the long one-sided love that existed between Mystique and Professor X...or the sincere care Professor X had for each and every one of the characters, especially that between him and Mystique and unforgettably that between him and Erik (I will forever associate Magneto with a Hitler-ish figure...so I can't refer to the guy in this movie that made such an effect on me). It was these two relationships that made me cry...every beautiful moment in the film led to tears. When Charles and Raven first meet in his kitchen..the bond that develops between them...the one-sided love Raven has for Charles...I inched ever closer to crying because I knew that she does not stay by his side forever...or for long even.
didn't they look so happy just like this?
='[

The same goes for Charles and Erik...except, to me, their relationship was deeper and more beautiful...even if it was short-lived. I had no idea that such a beautiful relationship existed between the two...and it was heart-wrenching to watch them slowly drift apart..and very reluctantly as well.

 Ahh, their love was deep.

And every moment where they showed affection towards one another moved me closer to tears because I knew that, one day, they would be against each other simply because of their different experiences that led them to have different views on the relationship between humans and mutants. Damn the horrible historical events that led Erik to be so hurt and distrustful of people. Damn Hitler. Damn Shaw. I always hated Magneto. That was because I never completely understood his misery. And now that I've seen it, all I can do is shed a tear, as Charles did when he too first learned of Erik's past experiences, and I can feel nothing but sympathy towards Erik who has good reasons to distrust humans, to not justify the horrendous actions of individuals simply because "they're just following order," to never again let those who are different be collected in masses, imprisoned, and murdered. But I cannot move away from Charles' hopeful, though naive, belief that humans and mutants can co-exist. I, too, will continue to hope and believe that such a future is possible.

My favorite scene...the most beautiful one of the film:

I never knew how Professor X got stuck in his wheelchair. Well, now I know. And it's the saddest of the saddest back story ever. Is it true? Who knows. Regardless, it was beautiful.

As the movie is coming to an end, and Charles, Erik, Moira, and the "first class" were stuck on a beach, surrounded by Russians and Americans and realizing that in the midst of the Cold War, the two super powers had gotten together to attack the mutant "race." Oh, the truth was blinding and Erik was not going to let that happen. As he was returning the missiles being shot at the mutants on the beach to the humans, Moira, the CIA agent that had first contacted Charles, decided she was going to stop Magneto by shooting at him. Well, of course, you idiot!, Magneto effin' controls metal!!! So duh, he's getting shot at, he's gonna protect himself AKA ricochet the bullets. Sadly, one of the bullets hits our beloved Charles who falls to the sand in agony. OH NO!! *tears*

And within seconds, Erik is cradling Charles in his arms!!! BEAUTIFUL!

Erik blames Moira for injuring Charles but Charles corrects him: "It's your fault" (or something of the like). And it's then that the two go their separate ways and Mystique also leaves Charles' side to join Erik.

Two great love stories ending simultaneously...what more reason is needed for uncontrollable tears..

*sigh*

so now, let me go a bit beyond X-Men...just a tad bit. I was disappointed at the beginning of the film when Erik grew up to be this total stud and Professor X (whom I adored the most) was, well, not such a stud. Granted the actor definitely looked better as Professor X than he has in the other films I have seen him. But he was still nothing compared to all the sexiness that Erik (or the actor, Michael Fassbender) was.
oh, Magneto never looked so good..

wow...just...wow..
look at that perfect smile..
looks great with facial hair...
and without...did i mention his eyes are just worth getting lost in?
and his hair...i'd love to run my fingers through it...
and he was once (and might still be) one of the 300 men with the best bods in the world...

Ahhh... I love eye candy...and maybe because of him, I love Magneto..err, Erik...a little more.

okay...this post was a bit boring..and it has been sitting on my "saved" and "edit" post pile for some time..so i will finally post it...without pics...but i promise, the next post will be loaded with pics that you'd quickly forgive me for such a blah update for now....

till then..

=D

No comments:

Post a Comment